Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How Santa "Paid" for Christmas

This was our second Christmas not using credit cards and it felt great!  Usually, every year, we would purchase items on the card and end up paying part of it with the money we received for the holidays.  So, these past couple of years have been nice to actually buy ourselves something with that gift of money. 

As I watched more and more items being added to our son's "Wishlist", I started thinking of a way I could pay for all of that new stuff he wanted.  Sell!  He had toys he no longer played with, so why not try to sell some of them.  I asked him about each toy I wanted to get rid of and he agreed.  The trick was to let him know that he needed to make room for all of his new toys he would be getting from Santa.  I posted some of the items on Facebook for my local friends and some on Craigslist.  Not only did I sell everything I wanted to (and paid for everything he wanted from Santa!), but I was also helping people get some great deals on their gifts, too!  It was a win-win situation. 

As for the rest of the holiday gifts, we had budgeted for that throughout the year.  And, I hit some great sales!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment