Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sell, Sell, Sell!

Another way that Dave Ramsey suggests bringing in some cash during your Debt Snowball adventure is to sell stuff.  So, that is what we decided to do.

It started when a friend of mine mentioned a HUGE children's consignment sale that happens in our town twice a year.  I had a ton of baby stuff, clothes and toys and they were in great condition.  I decided to put some work into it and put them in the sale.  We did pretty good.  That brought us in almost $100 and every little bit helps.

That got me in the selling mood.  For awhile, everything was in danger of being up for sale (even the dog and the kid at times!  haha).  Actually, Dave says to do just that..well, not sell your kids, but "Sell so much that your kids think they are next!".  I would literally walk around the house and see something that I thought I could get a good price for and put it on Craigslist.  Not only was it nice to be bringing in money to help pay off our debt, but it was clearing out all of the clutter in this house!  I am amazed at how fast it can all build up.

We also did a garage sale and that was kind of a bust.  Well, I say that but we did take in $300.  However, I have had more successful ones in the past.  I plan on having another one this year and am going to follow the advice of the Garage Sale Lady that was on Dave's show one time.  She said not to price anything and you make more money.  I will let you know how that goes!

I am still selling.  I am preparing for the March consignment sale, have clothes at a consignment store, listing items on Craigslist and getting ready for that spring garage sale.

And, don't only sell...save money by purchasing your kids clothing at consignment stores and sales!!

No comments:

Post a Comment